Since the boom of skin and hair care, a wealth of products has entered the market, giving Filipinas plenty of options. The industry shifts from one hot trend to the next, from K-Beauty to the “glowing skin” routine.
Among the popular buzzwords today in skin and hair care are natural, organic, and chemical-free. The value proposition of natural, “clean” beauty is simple: regular products use a bunch of chemicals and substances that may improve your skin and hair on the surface but harm on a deeper level, resulting in internal issues. Common beauty products use additives whereas natural skin and hair care products use organic plant extracts to nourish and protect.
Plenty of natural actives are known for having skin care benefits. Some examples are moringa, which is locally known as malunggay, olive oil, and sunflower oil, which are good choices for giving your skin that extra glow and protection. When it comes to hair care, aloe vera, argan oil, and coconut oil provide shine and strength. They’re common remedies for hair problems such as breakage, split ends, dryness, and more.
What exactly do all-natural products do to keep your skin and hair healthy?
1. They’re kind on the skin and scalp
Skin can react to beauty products in two ways. First is irritant contact dermatitis. The damage happens on your skin, causing it to sting, itch, burn, swell, or get red. The other is allergic contact dermatitis, which involves your immune system. The symptoms include swelling, itching, and redness. This reaction often happens on your face and neck.
These two reactions are hard to differentiate since many cases are a combination of the two. The similarity is they’re both often caused by fragrances and preservatives.
Manufacturers use fragrances to cover up the smell of the chemical ingredients and make the products more appealing to consumers. But these substances can be extremely irritating, causing allergic reactions and sensitivities for some people. Plus, many skin care products claiming to be fragrance-free contain a “masking agent” to cover up the chemical scents.
Preservatives such as parabens, phenoxyethanol, and imidazolidinyl urea, among others have been linked to skin allergies as well. Parabens are commonly used to extend the shelf life of skin care products, shampoos, and cosmetics. But research shows that parabens display estrogenic effects. Too much estrogen in the body can affect the function of your reproductive system and increase the risk of breast cancer.
Hair dyes, especially those used to lighten hair, can also cause scalp and skin reactions for some people.
On the other hand, natural beauty products carry the scent of their ingredients. Rose, lemon, lavender, and honey are some common components that offer beauty benefits and a pleasant fragrance.
Apart from being free from artificial fragrances and preservatives, organic skin and hair care products use few and natural ingredients at their core, which lowers the risk for irritations.
2. They use gentle but effective ingredients
Active ingredients, like alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), and niacinamide are popular for addressing textured skin, discoloration, and huge pores. However, these ingredients cause problems for some people, including swelling, redness, blisters, and itching, especially in higher concentrations.
Also, many skin care products use alcohol to lengthen shelf life and improve the consistency, helping to penetrate the skin faster. However, alcohol strips your skin off its natural oils, causing dryness, breakouts, and irritation.
Meanwhile, there are natural ingredients that offer the same benefits without risking your skin barrier. Products with natural ingredients are also a healthier option compared to those with artificial ingredients that may contain potentially harmful chemicals. Natural ingredients are mostly hypoallergenic and are friendlier to the skin while still providing nourishment.
Here are some examples:
- Olive oil: Contains high levels of hydroxytyrosol, the most potent antioxidant to date, which absorbs cell-damaging free radicals. This ingredient also contains anti-microbial properties and vitamins A and E to restore and protect the skin. Olive oil has similarities to the skin’s natural sebum, which makes it easy to absorb.
- Moringa – Rich in vitamin A, which is one of the more potent vitamins for skin, moringa helps renew skin cells, leaving you with nearly perfect skin. This natural skincare ingredient also limits breakouts and blurs pigmentation. Because it also contains vitamin E, moringa can fight dry, flaky skin.
- Omega from sunflower oil – Sunflower seed oil is a good source of vitamin E and antioxidants, so it’s effective in fighting skin problems, from acne to inflammation. It’s also high in linoleic or omega-6 fatty acid, which not only reduces skin inflammation but also promotes the development of new skin cells.
- Argan oil – Derived from the argan tree fruit, this medicinal oil (also called “liquid gold”) contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (e.g., CoQ10 and polyphenols), vitamin E, and oleic and linoleic acids. The prized natural ingredient helps moisturize skin and hair, as well as reduce the signs of skin aging, among many others.
Natural products do more than just nourish your hair and skin. Many organic beauty merchandise is cruelty-free and eco-friendly. Choosing these is a good way to commit to a healthy lifestyle while being conscious about your impact to the environment.
3. They don’t harm the environment
Manufacturing chemical-heavy beauty products can have a negative environmental impact. Plus, these substances runoff into bodies of water or get absorbed by the atmosphere once you use them. For example, some sunscreens have chemicals that threaten corals and other marine life.
When you use natural skin and hair products, fewer chemicals are released into the air and water. Making the switch to organic beauty products means doing your part to help the environment.
Of course, buy your items only from reputable brands to ensure their efficacy. Try them out first by doing the patch test to see if they agree with your skin and hair and with the rest of your regimen.
Use the Best Natural Products
Moringa-O2 carries a range of hair and skin products powered the unique combination of malunggay, olive oil, argan oil, and sunflower oil. This blend is rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins, keeping your hair, scalp, and skin hydrated and healthy.
View our catalog by browsing our site today to find the product that suits your needs.