As any parent knows, keeping a newborn baby happy and healthy is a top priority, but can you confidently say that you know when to use baby lotion? While there are many different products on the market that claim to be essential for new parents, one product that is often overlooked is lotion.
In reality, lotion is an important part of keeping a newborn baby’s skin healthy and free from irritation.
Do Newborns Need Lotion Anyway?
The skin of a newborn baby is different from that of an adult. Newborn skin is thinner and more delicate, which makes it more susceptible to dryness. In addition, babies typically have less fat on their bodies than adults, which means they have less natural insulation against the cold.
These factors make it important for parents to use lotion on their newborns, primarily to help keep their infant babies’ skin healthy and hydrated.
Here are just a few reasons you should make sure to have lotion on hand for your new arrival:
- First, newborns have very sensitive skin, which can easily become dry and irritated. Lotion helps to keep skin hydrated and prevents dryness and scaling.
- Second, lotion can help to protect against diaper rash. The barrier that it creates helps to keep moisture in and irritants out.
- Finally, lotion helps to prevent the development of eczema, a chronic condition that can cause red, inflamed patches of skin.
That being said, the answer to “Can you put lotion on the skin of a newborn baby?” is yes, you definitely can.
When Should You Use Lotion on a Newborn?
Now that you know why it’s important to use lotion on a newborn, you may be wondering when the best time to apply it is.
In general, you should lotion your baby every time you change their diaper. This will help to prevent diaper rash and keep their skin hydrated.
You should also consider applying lotion to your baby’s skin after baths. This will help to lock in moisture and keep their skin from becoming dry or irritated.
In the Philippines, bungang araw or prickly heat rash is a common occurrence in babies. So, apart from using lotion, here’s how to get rid of bungang araw – in case your baby’s skin is showing those terrible red bumps.
How to Apply Lotion on Your Newborn Baby
Applying lotion to a newborn baby may seem like a daunting task, but it’s actually quite simple. Just follow these easy steps:
- Start by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Gently pat your baby’s skin dry with a towel.
- Apply a small amount of lotion to your hands and rub them together to warm it up.
- Gently massage the lotion into your baby’s skin, being careful to avoid their eyes and mouth.
- Repeat this process as often as necessary to keep your baby’s skin hydrated and healthy.
5 Tips When Choosing a Lotion for Your Baby
With so many different lotions on the market, it can be difficult to know which one is right for your baby. Here are a few tips to keep in mind on how to choose the right lotion for your newborn:
- Choose a lotion that is hypoallergenic and unscented.
- Make sure the lotion is suitable for newborns.
- Choose a lotion that is thick and creamy, as this will be more effective at keeping your baby’s skin hydrated.
- Look for a lotion that contains natural ingredients, like moringa oil, shea butter, or cocoa butter.
- Avoid lotions that contain alcohol, as this can be drying to your baby’s skin.
Here’s a list of ingredients and chemicals that you should stay away from to keep your precious newborn’s skin clean and healthy:
- Cetyl or alcohol
- SLS or sulfates
- Lanolin alcohol
- Benzyl alcohol
- Decyl glucoside
- Formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers (like DMDM hydantonin and Glyoxal)
When Should You See a Doctor
In most cases, lotion is safe for newborns and will not cause any side effects. However, if you notice any redness, swelling, or other signs of irritation after applying lotion to your baby’s skin, stop using it immediately and consult your doctor.
It’s also important to see a doctor if your baby develops a rash that doesn’t go away after a few days, as this could be a sign of a more serious condition.
Moringa-O2: Your Partner in Taking Care of the Skin of Your Newborn Baby
Lotion is an important part of keeping a newborn baby’s skin healthy and hydrated. It helps to prevent dryness, irritation, and diaper rash, and can even help to prevent the development of eczema.
When choosing a lotion for your baby, be sure to select one that is hypoallergenic, unscented, and contains natural ingredients.
While there are many different brands of lotion on the market, Moringa-O2’s herbal hypoallergenic lotion is specifically designed for use on newborns. It is safe, gentle, and free from harmful chemicals – making it safe for even the most sensitive skin.
In addition, it contains organic ingredients like moringa oil and aloe vera, which are known for their healing properties. With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why using lotion on a newborn baby is so important.
Moringa-O2’s Baby Lotion is available in a 125ml bottle and it can be purchased online or in stores nationwide.
So, what are you waiting for? Invest in the health of your newborn baby’s skin today!
Send us a message for any questions or inquiries.