Thanks to its content of over 90 nutrients and 46 antioxidants, Malunggay or Moringa is a superfood sought out for its healing and nourishing benefits.
Health Benefits of Malunggay
- -Naturally boosts the immune system
- -Has antioxidants that fight and prevent cancer-causing free radicals
- -Soothes and repairs skin problems and conditions
- -Controls blood pressure, minimizing the instances of migraine and headache attacks
- -Maintains blood sugar levels
- -Has anti-inflammatory properties
- -Can be used to treat stomach ulcers
- -Has high calcium content, beneficial to breastfeeding moms
Moringa Energy Drink
One of the reliable health benefits of malunggay is that a dose will help clear your mind and boost energy levels. Try this energy booster and experience the action-pumping effects for yourself!
- -crushed moringa leaf (at least a tablespoon)
- -1 cup of aloe vera juice
- -1-2 oz of pomegranate concentrate
- -1/8 tsp moringa seed powder
- -1 tbsp of chia
Combine ingredients in a blender, and blend for 5 seconds.
Soak dried moringa leaves and what you get is a drink that’s pure and bursting with the health benefits of malunggay.
For tea leaves
- Clean freshly harvested malunggay leaves.
- Lay down leaves on a clean sheet and leave it to dry for at least 2 days.
- Remove leaves from stems and sift smaller pieces of stem and debris.
- Dry roast leaves over low heat.
- Store tea leaves in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
For brewing tea
- Steep ½ tsp of tea leaves in hot water for 5 minutes. You can also use a tea ball or a French press.
- Sweeten with honey or brown sugar, and add flavour with lemon or ginger slices.
Moringa Milk Tea
Wash a hot afternoon away with a sweetly refreshing glass of milk tea and the nourishing health benefits of malunggay! Combining milk, brewed moringa tea (see previous item), syrup and tapioca pearls, here’s how you put together a cool moringa milk tea.
- -¾ cup brewed moringa tea
- -½ cup soy milk or evaporated milk
- -2 tbsp syrup
- -1 cup ice cubes
- -¼ cup sago or tapioca pearls
- Combine milk, tea, syrup and ice in a blender.
- Pour tapioca pearls in a glass before transferring your frothy milk tea.
Another great way to enjoy the health benefits of malunggay is to mix it with a sweet treat of a fruit. You can never go wrong with banana. A good source of fiber and potassium, banana goes well with almost anything. Take this Moringa-banana smoothie, for one.
- -¼ cup moringa leaves, cleaned
- -1 pc of latundan or lakatan banana
- -1 cup crushed ice
- -2 tsp honey
Blend ingredients together until smooth, then pour into a tall glass.